Hobbit

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Playing the possum

I have discovered that I have the possum-like trait in me. I play tired and choose inaction when confronted with a particularly huge task. It is involuntary and not planned out. I want to analyze why I do this and how to avoid it.

Dislike for the task?
No, I find that I like it when I start working on it.

Lack of aspiration - grand narrative for how doing the task will help me lead a good life?
uhm..may be

Lack of a plan?
Recently I came across this article in Buzz ,shared by a friend. It says: "The evolutionary perspective on procrastination says we delay because our frontal lobe doesn’t see a convincing plan behind our aspiration. The solution, therefore, is not to muster the courage to blindly charge ahead, but to instead accept what our brain is telling us: our plans need more hard work invested before they’re ready."
I examined if my task suffers from lack of a plan. Nope. It mostly suffers from lack of consistent input.

Laziness?
I jog 5 km and swim later, devour book after book, video after video. I guess that eliminates laziness from the picture??

Lack of motivation?
nope. I won't dare claim that.

Analyzing the above Q and A-- I need to aspire. I do have aspirations which are in no way related to this current huge task in front of me. I am trying to psych my mind into believing that they do have a connection.

2 comments: